NCYC are pleased to be welcoming Lily Barlow, director of She Can Fix It, to deliver two-day marine diesel basics courses for our women members at both the NCYC clubhouse and at the Bay Sailing Centre in Port Stephens. Lily holds a Master 5 captain’s licence, as well as MED2 (Marine Engine Driver) qualification, and has worked in the maritime industry for over 12 years with over 30,000 nautical miles experience of fixing things when they broke!
The course is designed to get even the most novice boat-owner, crew member or interested mariner comfortable in undertaking the all-important yearly service items on a marine diesel engine.
Diesel mechanics is not only a fun skill to master, it is one of the most important safety aspects on board any vessel. Knowing how to identify issues as well as keep the engine happy will assist all sailors, boat owners or crew alike.
- Two-day course from 10:00am to 3:00pm each day
- Day 1 – Theory & discussion
- Day 2 – Practical, hands-on
- How a 4-stroke marine diesel engine works, from turning the key to the exiting exhaust
- What all the parts do and what they’re called, as well as a detailed description of the combustion process
- Typical regular service items required on all marine diesel engines
- Common problems, how to identify them, and what to do
A practical, hands-on approach, will see students:
- Changing the oil and oil filter in an engine
- Removing, inspecting and replacing an impeller
- Changing the fuel filter and bleeding the system
Working in a women’s only environment fosters a supportive and “no-question-too-silly” approach for all participants. The goal of the course is to empower more women to familiarise themselves with, and service their engines.
- Wednesday 10th & Thursday 11th March at The Bay Sailing Centre, Port Stephens
- Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th March at Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club
Course Cost & Enrolment
The 2-day course fee is $300 for NCYC Members ($250 for Youth Crew Members)
The course fee includes:
- 2-days course content delivered by a skilled and knowledgeable presenter
- Take home course material
- Lunch with refreshments on both days
- Celebratory glass of bubbles upon course completion!
Course enrolments are strictly limited. Up to eight students per course, minimum of five for course to proceed.
Enrolment can be completed online using the Academy’s RevSport system and your AS Number:
* Youth Crew members, please use the discount code YTHCR-WMS when in the payment section of your registration. This will discount the cost.
You will receive a course confirmation email – please check your junk/spam folder if it doesn’t come through. Should you have any issues with registration, please contact the Sailing Academy at [email protected]