The Start Crewing course is the first step on the Australian Sailing accredited pathway to learning to sail a small inshore keelboat.
It is an ideal course for adults and teenagers (16yrs+) who are looking to develop or improve their sailing skills. You do not need any prior experience.
This is the best way to start sailing – on board from lesson one! A great way to see the Harbour and meet lots of new people.
This beginner’s course teaches the basics of sailing including boat handling, safety and sailing theory. Upon completion of the 12-hour course, participants will understand how to control and manipulate the different parts of the boat in order to create power and momentum across the water. You will learn how to “tack” & “gybe”, trim the “mainsail” & “jib” and learn how the sails can actually steer the boat! The course also introduces other essential areas including weather, tides, knots and general safety procedures like “right of way” rules.
Course Length: 4 x 3.5-hour practical sessions
Minimum Age: 16 years
Maximum number of crew on a boat: Five (4 students + 1 Instructor)
Course cost*: $350 per person.
Included in course fee:
- 14.5 hours of instruction by qualified instructors
- Use of personal safety equipment including life jacket
- Waterproof course kit with National Keelboat Program logbook & Introductory Keelboat textbook
- Your own piece of rope for knot tying practice!
- NCYC Training Membership – valid for three months from course commencement date
- 4 x NCYC Car-park parking permits
- 1 x Discover Sailing Experience Gift Voucher to give to a friend – valued at $60
- Upon successful completion, a nationally recognised Australian Sailing Start Crewing certificate.
Check out our upcoming course dates and enrol online now!
* Payment Plans are available, contact [email protected] to set up