Port Hunter itself demonstrates an amazingly harmonious amalgamation of industrial, commercial and recreational facets. This Port is one of Australia’s largest and most active Ports. Not only are there huge carrier ships moving about 100 million tonnes of cargo per annum, but there is a large commercial fishing fleet that operates out of the harbour, as well as a large number of pleasure vessels ranging from jet skis to multi-million dollar ocean cruisers. All of these craft movements are under the direction and control of the NSW Maritime and Newcastle Port Corporation.
We have the world’s largest and most modern coal loading facility that will soon be expanding further to handle more then the 3000 ships that choose to load here in Newcastle each year. Over 90% of these ships transport coal. The harbour also houses a large floating dock where ships can be repaired. There are many other commercial businesses that operate out of the harbour. This includes Australian Defence Industries and a large fisherman’s Co-operative which can handle almost all of the fish supplies for the hunter and surrounding area.
Safely Handling the Harbour Traffic
- Click HERE for booklet “Safety Information for Recreational Boating when operating in close proximity to shipping in Newcastle Harbour”
Some Helpful Information about our Location
- Accommodation –Click HERE for accommodation near NCYC
- Dining – Click HERE for some dining suggestions
- Things to do – Click HERE for a list of places to visit & things to do in Newcastle
- Marina Trades & Services – Click HERE for a list of contact numbers
- Medical – Click HERE for medical contact numbers
- NCYC – Click HERE for an overview of what our Club offers
- Newcastle Harbour – Click HERE for information on Newcastle Harbour
- Police and other authorities – Click HERE for authorities
- Transport – Click HERE for transport information
- Shopping – Click HERE for Shopping information