SSSC – PRACTICAL MODULE
To achieve an Australian Sailing Safety & Sea Survival Certificate accreditation, you need to have completed the e-Learning course and passed the online theory exam, and now complete the practical wet drills.
Online e-Learning + Theory Exam
Upon successful completion of the e-Learning course and theory exam, you will have received proof of completion.
You have 12 months from the date you completed the theory module to complete the practical module.
The practical wet drills will be conducted at Charlestown Swim Centre (Dickinson Street, Charlestown) and the flare demonstration back at the NCYC Marina (Hannell Street, Wickham).
We have partnered with Pacific Sailing School, an accredited Australian Sailing SSSC Centre, for the delivery of the practical module in Newcastle.
- Book direct with Pacific Sailing School – [email protected] / 02 9326 2399
- Please advise them of your AS Number
- Please provide them with your proof of completion for the theory module
Your AS Safety & Sea Survival Certificate will be issued on the completion date of the practical wet drills.
PRACTICAL MODULE PROGRAM
- 2:00pm to 5:00pm at Charlestown Pool
- 5:15pm to 6:00pm at NCYC Marina
- After course catch up and debrief in The Foredeck in the NCYC Clubhouse
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- To assist offshore skippers and crews in developing awareness of respective responsibilities.
- To offer and discuss practical strategies for coping with emergencies at sea.
- To familiarize skippers and crews with safety and emergency equipment, its purpose, deployment, and use.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your AS Number,
- Offshore wet weather gear including sea boots (if you have them),
- PFD 1 life jacket with crutch strap (these can be hired),
- Safety harness with crutch strap and tether,
- Sun protection,
- Change of clothes for after wet drill (jeans & jumper/overalls),
- Large garbage bag to put your wet gear in,
- Footwear (enclosed) for flare drills (deck shoes or sea boots – NO sandals or thongs),
- Sailing gloves.
In order to maintain your certification, you are required to revalidate every 5 years.